Monday, October 18, 2010

I Love My Hair! How About You?

Cute video with a positive message for young African American girls. Shout out to Sesame Street for airing the video. The song was written by Joey Mazzarino, who happens to be the head write of Sesame Street and adoptive parent to a 5 year old Ethiopian daughter Segi. During an interview for NPR Mazzarino told Melissa Block that he witnessed his daughter playing with a doll and "she wanted to have long blond hair and straight hair, and she wanted to be able to bounce it around."

It isn't often that young girls get positive reinforcement for their natural dark and kinky hair and the various ways they style them. Hopefully parents will share this video with their children and continue to encourage love for the way their hair is. Remember the time when Just For Me perm commercials would air every hour, to remind you that your hair wasn't straight enough and the perm would do wonders? Ha! Silly I tell ya just silly! Now that I think about it, those youth relaxer commercials were nothing but foolish. Why couldn't we rock our "nappy" hair if we wanted to? Why must we be brainwashed and pressured into getting a relaxer at such a young age. . . the more I think about it the more it makes me mad. Well peep the cute muppet baby video below!

I Love My Hair:

No comments:

Post a Comment