Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Artist Spotlight: Sheila Pree Bright


This past week I had the pleasure of meeting the wonderful fine art photographer Sheila Pree Bright. I am new to the world of following photography, but I must admit that when I first saw her work on display I became intrigued immediately by the message conveyed in the portraits.

Sheila Pree Bright is best known for her nuanced but complex studies of racial identity and her ability to shatter audiences' perceptions of people of color. One of her most famous exhibits would be Young Americans and was premiered at the High Museum of Art Atlanta. Young Americans explores the identities of American citizens (18-25) and those seeking citizenship by presenting portraits, posing with the American flag.

I was amazed when I saw this exhibit and upon further research she is now in my favorites as far as artists go. The notion of snapping a picture and building a story to accompany in the way that Sheila has done, speaks to a different level of being artistic. One can easily look at her portraits and began to assume what the picture is saying but then you read the plaque and realize it's so much more. Her most recent exhibit is entitled "Girls, Grills and Guns", and is currently on display at the Sandler Hudson Gallery located in Atlanta, GA.

CNN covered the Young Americans exhibit...


For more info check out her websites:
www.sheilapreebright.blogspot.com
www.sheilapreebright.com

No comments:

Post a Comment