Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Feeling REAL poetic today!

I have been looking for some positive poetry dedicated to African American males. Not just poems written by African American men, but ones that paint pictures of AA males in a positive light. Not the same dead beat father, women being scorn by men blah blah blah. Yes that happens and all of those topics are truth but who tells the story of the STRONG, INDEPENDENT, WORKING male who sacrifices night and day to provide for his family, or the college graduate that started his own business...maybe even the man who educates his community through social programs and volunteering with youth so that they know the great culture they are apart of.
I did however come across In Daddy's Arms I Am Tall and one poem entitled My Father written by Briley Gabriel

My Father

I never knew my father.

My case is not unique.

My life is better for that fact

to hear my mother speak.



I never knew his anger,

or felt his heavy hand.

I never was subjected

to her image of the man.


But I do not feel lucky

for all that I was spared.

There is a void within me.

I feel his absence there.



I am not ungrateful.

I know her sacrifice.

She left him to ensure us both

a happier, healthier life.


But now my seed is planted,

my twenty second year.

His void is gaping larger.

My heart is filled with fear.


For I must be the father now,

the one I never had,

to teach the things I never learned

and be the perfect dad.


A life entrusted to me;

drawn from my very soul.

Depending on my wisdom

to shape and mold his own.


What memories will I draw from?

What blueprint or what plan

can I retrieve to raise

this son of mine into a man?


Perhaps I will remember

the things that I had missed:

the games of catch,

the great bear hugs,

or bedtimes gentle kiss.


Perhaps the father of my mind,

the one I dreamed about,

will be a better model

than the one I did without.



Well ain't that some...

No comments:

Post a Comment